Sponsors

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Didn't know how to play this...

OK, I was in a hand last Wednesday and I guess I played it wrong cause apparently when I tried to ask some of my friends opinions, I got laughed at instead of helped. I know many of times we discuss hand histories together, not bad beat stories, I can't stand hearing those, but I really wanted to know if I played this hand all wrong and couldn't get an honest opinion from anyone, and got angry and dropped it...

Villian is nicknamed "I hate money R***" (IHMR) Now I have dealt to this guy alot already and "I Think" I know how this guy acts when he has a big hand. Anyway here is how the hand played out.

$1-$2 NLHE

IHMR is in EP1 and limps in, 1 caller and gets to me 1 off the cut off, I make it my standard $7 to go starting the hand with $142. IHMR calls, other player folds, heads up.

Pot: $19
Flop: Jc3c7c

IHMR instantly moves all in and has me covered. I tank a little bit and ask, why so much? he then pulls back a stack and says, well how about this then, will you call this?

1. I've dealt to this guy many times and seen him do this before and have a made hand, not necessarily the nuts, but on that board, I'm pretty sure he flopped a baby flush and protecting his hand from another club from falling.

2. Its $19 in the pot plus $135, so I'm risking $135 to win $154 going in the hand as a huge underdog. I only invested a hot $7 bucks in this hand.

I decided to let him have the $19 bucks in the pot and find a better spot to double up on.

I tabled JJ just in case you didn't figure it out...Top Set...I've always said I would stack off no matter what if I flop a set, but for some reason this night, I said I wanted to try and play good poker and not peel off winners like I usually like to do...I didn't feel like running around with a sniper rifle and didnt' think it was worth the peel.

Oh I caught alot of laughter at me, and got ragged alot, but still feel good about my laydown, I felt i was beat and didn't find it worth the risk for such a small pot...

Now did I play this hand horrible or play it good? And yes, go head and berate this fish if its a bad play!

4 comments:

"Ricky" said...

In all honesty if I have another bullet in my pocket and don't mind stacking off here I call. If I'm playing with my rent money I fold. I thought a lot about this hand after you talked about the other night, its quite possible he had a smaller set and even if he did flop a flush you have a few outs lol. IHMR does that same play with anything better then one pair thats problem with reading him.

@OnAFoldDraw said...

Put it on a grander scale. Let's say you're playing $5/$10 NL, Sitting on $710. To further complicate the matter, let's say you DO have a rebuy.

Are you going to call a $700+ all-in bet into a $95 pot?

Not sure if either yes or no is a better answer. It's a matter of picking your spots.

We've all done silly shit in both directions. I think in the long run, folding in this spot is actually the more profitable play, esp due to reverse implied odds.

Anonymous said...

E...you always said that you trust your instincts so if that's the case you made a great play in laying down that hand. You only lost $7. However, I do think that you did make one mistake for which I know I'm guilty of doing from time to time...and that is tabling that hand. No one and I mean no one at that table should know that you could be runover like that. Tabling that hand just invites other idiots to put you on similar other decisions. Just my 2 cents.

R

Ehonda said...

Yup because of that, I said I would never ever table my hand ever again unless its at showdown.