Sponsors

Friday, March 23, 2007

Going Back To School....at least try to....

After going to Travis' and Nellys game at the Corral, I decided it was time to take a break and go back to school...Go back and read a couple books, figure out why I like don't like to win at poker...Why I don't like money...

On Wednesday night, I was up close to $700 at one point when I went on a nice run...I guess cause the players that were scheduled to play, Travis told me it was best to get in for max that night, so I did...after runnin my stack up, I leaked like I never leaked before...I remember even calling Pops all in for over $100 with an off-suit revised hand (duece-four). I guess thats when the game started getting fun...till I looked down to my stack and it was less than $200...at one point I was down to less than $75 bucks...I managed to work all that back to breaking almost dead even by 7AM. thats right...I was $10 bucks stuck...Heinz poker is not fun at all.....

So I went out and bought a new book to read...Skalansky and Miller's No Limit Hold'em - Theory and Practice. So far its a good read..just brushing up on how I approach the game, I've actually learned some things I neve even thought about on how to approach the game...So hopefully this will teach me to be a better player than a big fish swimmin in MD.

So last night, I was reading the book between shifts at the Fish Tank...caught some laughs from players like Asian Alex...which didn't really bother me...Its all good though..I aint ashamed to try and gaiin knowledge that should benefit me in the long run...The game last night wasn't a big game like it used to be because of the Robbery that took place 2 weeks ago down the road...had nothing to do with this game, but Steve decided to take precaution because it was so close to home...which is a good thing, at least the robbery opened his eyes and will keep eveyone on there toes when it comes to this horrible nightmare we have to deal with at any poker game we attend.

The game started getting short around 2:30 am...I fell asleep on the couch wakin up to my own snoring before it got real bad and embarrassing I might add...It was no use to get back in the box to make less than another $50 for the night, so I decided to sit in the game and play instead of deal the rest of the night, Jimmy and I were taking shifts and I gave him the remainder of the night...which was a good move...

I sat short stacked for a $1-$3 NL Game...actually with the stacks at the table, $190 wasn't bad...I wanted to leave at least keep some tip money in my pocket so I didn't go there for nothing...I ran my stack up to a little over $700 and the game broke...Ryan had a monster $1800+ in front of him..he deserved it after running so bad at the pink game...So overall it was a decent night...I did play some hands differently after reading the book...I like this book so far, its opened up my mind to think of things I never even thought about as far as approaching the game and the way certain hands are played. Well this is probably gonna be the last game I play for at least 2 weeks, I shoudn't even have played last night cause im supposd to be on a break...but whats a degenerate like me supposed to do when I get that itch? I feel like a junkie when it comes to poker.

4 comments:

"Ricky" said...

Dude you are releasing "top secret" information with this latest post. I object!

Pick up your latest Bluff Mag (April) and go to Mike Caro's Wisdom section: pet peeves is the topic this week and whats first on the list on page 94 second column under poker pet peeves ??? "I've previously expressed my contempt for skillful players who discuss serious poker strategy at the table where weaker players are listening"

I picked that book up when it first came out, I think I told you about it because you asked to borrow it the other day. It is a great read but for cripes sake, NO COACHING THE PLAYERS, SIR!

Ehonda said...

LOL no you are right, I did release some top secret information, but thats one downfall with having a blog...I dont want to leave things out when I go back later in the years you know what im saying? I'm pretty sure those that read this blog should already know about that book...or even heard of it...But whose to say most of these degenerates actually will go out and read this book?

Anonymous said...

I've read the book probably twice now and to date it still sits in my bathroom so I can brush up on it once a day. I'll read it until I commit the entire thing to memory. As much as I read you'd think I wouldn't play so bad, oh well. I need a book that will teach me how to make faster more acurate decisions. If you come across that book let me know.

SoveriegnOne said...

Cant avoid it Ricky, you knew it would get out sooner or later.

Good book E, it helps, as long as you apply the knowledge, which is something I have not been doing.